Maille Boxing Day Croque Madame
- 1 x White farmhouse loaf, unsliced (cut 8 slices)
- 4 slices Leftover roast ham
- 200g Comte cheese, grated
- 8 tbsp Maille Wholegrain Mustard or Maille Wholegrain Mustard with Chardonnay Wine
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g plain flour
- 60ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp Maille Dijon Originale Mustard or Maille Dijon Originale Mustard with White Wine
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Spread 2 slices of bread with the Maille wholegrain mustard, then top with the ham slices and the 2 thirds of the grated Comte cheese. Top with the second slice of bread and reserve the sandwich.
- To make the bechamel, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine, cook for 1 -2 minutes. Gradually pour in the milk, whisking it in little by little, until you have a smooth sauce. Cook this over low-medium heat until thickened, then stir through the Maille mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- On the hob, set an ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat & toast the sandwiches on each side. Once toasted, remove the pan from the heat and pour over the bechamel sauce followed by the remaining cheese. Place the pan under a medium grill for 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve.