Maille Valentine’s Day Steak & Dauphinois Recipe
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 64 minutes
Thinly sliced potatoes are dressed in a creamy Maille Wholegrain Mustard sauce, layered in an oven dish, topped with grated Comté and baked in the oven until golden and crisp. FIllet steak is pan-seared and finished in a foaming mixture of butter and Maille Dijon Mustard.
- 2 x Fillet steaks, removed from fridge 30 mins before cooking
- 70g Butter
- 2 tbsp Maille Dijon Mustard
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 clove of garlic, lightly crushed
- 250ml double cream
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp Maille Wholegrain Mustard
- 4 large Maris piper potatoes, finely sliced
- 200g grated Comté
- Heat the oven to 170c.
- Place the cream, 50g of butter, the garlic clove, thyme and Maille Wholegrain Mustard in a saucepan on the hob. Season with salt and pepper and heat on low until the mixture reaches a low simmer. remove from the heat and set aside to infuse and cool.
- In an ovenproof dish, arrange the potato slices in a neat, vertical spiral until they are tightly packed into the dish.
- Ladle the cooled cream mixture over the potato slices and top with the grated Comté. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the potato is cooked through and a golden crust has formed.
- Set a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Oil and season each side of the steaks and place in the pan. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes for medium-rare. Add the remaining butter and the Maille Dijon Mustard to the pan and baste the steaks for a further minute. Remove the steaks from the pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with steaks the dauphinoise & vegetables of your choice.