Maille Vegetarian Red Onion Tarte Tatin Recipe
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
Red onions are caramelised in honey and Maille Dijon mustard that is topped with grated gruyère and encased in buttery puff pastry. Baked until golden brown and then inverted on a plate to serve.
- 4-6 small red onions
- 1 x 320g pack of pre-rolled puff pastry
- 150g gruyère, grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp Maille Dijon mustard
- Thyme leaves, optional
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200c/180c Fan/ Gas Mark 6. Peel the onions and cut them into quarters.
- To prepare the pastry, cut it into a large circle slightly bigger than the pan, and chill in the fridge until needed.
- In a 20cm cask iron skillet or ovenproof frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the honey and Maille Dijon mustard to the pan and whisk until well combined.
- Arrange the red onion quarters in the pan, fitting as many in as possible. Caramelise them over a gentle heat for 8 - 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Once the sauce is a rich and sticky, generously sprinkle the grated gruyère over the onions and cover with the circle of puff pastry. Gently tuck the edges around the onions and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before inverting on a plate. Slice into individual slices and garnish with some thyme leaves. Serve with a dollop of Maille Dijon mustard .