Savoury Mustard Baklava
This savoury take on traditional Baklava will pleasantly surprise your guests.
- 250 grams filo pastry sheets
- 300 grams sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 300 grams lightly crushed walnuts
- 200 grams feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Maille Dijon Mustard with Honey
- 100 millilitres or 1/2 a cup of olive oil
For the syrup:
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams honey
- 50 millilitres of water
- zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan/ Gas 6. Brush the base of a 25-30cm/10-12in square cake tin generously with melted butter. Cut the pastry to the
exact size of your dish.
- Line the base with 6 sheets whilst gently brushing each with olive oil as
- Sprinkle the sun dried tomatoes, feta and walnuts evenly, then cover with 2 sheets of filo, place one sheet at a time over the filling brushing with olive oil as you go. Add another layer of filling and repeat with another 2 filo sheets and filling Take the last sheets of filo pastry, and place carefully on top to seal the baklava again one sheet at a time brushed with olive oil.
- With a sharp knife carve the baklava gently into squares, triangles or diamonds and bake in the oven until golden brown and allow to cool.
For The Syrup:
- Place a small saucepan over a medium-high heat and dissolve the caster, honey, water and orange zest, if using, stir well when the syrup begins to boil remove from the heat, pour the syrup over the baklava and set it aside for a few minutes before serving.